Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Show Me Some Love!

Psst! If you enjoy my blog, please click the flashing link above to vote for me as a top mommy blogger. No strings attached. Just one little click = a vote. Thank you mucho!

Monday, November 4, 2013

The Art of Craft

Paul stopped hiding his affairs eventually. Who has time for craft and subterfuge with so many sluts to be had? Catching him last time barely registered a blip on my emotional radar. I despised myself for staying. What could I do? We had kids, a mortgage, a fucking Beagle. 

Clearly, I was dead inside. How else could I continue to let Paul touch me? So when my high school boyfriend found me on Facebook, I was surprised to feel excitement ... lust.

It would be weeks before I wound up underneath Brian. At first we flirted innocently online. When I vented about Paul, he admitted his wife had cheated, too. We commiserated about our shitty marriages via text and phone calls. One day Brian put it all out there.

“They’ve done it. Why shouldn’t we?”

Deciding to cheat on your cheating spouse isn't easy. You’re still violating your vows—however broken they may be.

We deliberated over a covert dinner in a neighboring town. Despite thinning hair and a widening middle, Brian looked fan-fucking-tastic.

“Revenge sex won’t realign the planets,” I cautioned.

“I’m willing to try,” he grinned.

We met during lunch breaks and whenever we could steal away. Brian became a wiz at detaching his baby’s car seat base for backseat quickies.

I’ve forgotten how we ended up there that day, but in Brian's bed we relished the opportunity to be completely naked. His soft chest hairs tickled my breasts, surging heat throughout my body. When the front door opened, Brian froze mid thrust. Discarded clothes marked our path. We hadn’t bothered closing the bedroom door.

With their daughter on her hip, Brian’s wife flung the diaper bag at his head. Then she trained her sights on me.

“Get out of my house,” she screamed. “Whore!”

Her hypocrisy incensed me. I tore into her, spewing highlights of her infidelities.

The room fell silent.

“What the hell is she talking about?” She glared at Brian. He looked down, shrugged.

Shit.

Whore: party of one.


#

This week's Trifecta Writing Challenge: The entry must be 33-333 words and include the word "craft" as defined below:

CRAFT
skill in deceiving to gain an end <used craft and guile to close the deal>
Word count: 333



45 comments:

  1. Nice twist at the end. I also liked the line, party of one!
    Sadly it's a party of three. Too bad, she is caught between two crafty men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She sure knows how to pick 'em, huh? :)

      Delete
  2. That is bad... you brought up a nice twist in the end. A very interesting write. :-)
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should never trust or believe a man trying to get laid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn..stupid...woman..
    You got my vote - anyone who can deal with 31 sugar hyped kids deserves a cruise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and voting for my contest entry! :)

      Delete
  5. What a bastard! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm ... I count two bastards and one gullible woman. :) Thanks, Joe!

      Delete
  6. Aw, she fell for that! Crafty jerk knew how to get what he wanted. (Little details like removing the car seat for a quickie made my skin crawl even more :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping that car seat line would rub readers the wrong way. Glad to know it did. Lol! Thanks, Janna! :)

      Delete
  7. I should've known you'd put in a twist in the end :P
    Awesome, Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TPM! I had no idea how this would end when I started writing. I actually began with Brian being a sympathetic character. But I guess he decided to be a jerk instead. :)

      Delete
  8. Clever and crafty! Great take. It's too true though, one just can never really know for sure that another person is telling the truth,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! Yes, it's scary how trusting and gullible people can be.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. These two certainly are. Thanks for stopping by, Tara! :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I am thrilled Brian is eliciting such a strong reaction among readers. Thanks for reading, Kelly! :)

      Delete
  11. What a piece of work, this guy! You, my sweet friend, deserve that cruise just for letting him worm his way into this story;)

    (Throw his sorry ass overboard!)

    And you have my vote too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you, dearest, for the vote and the hilarious comment! :)

      Delete
  12. Men!!Always lying to get under the covers-sheesh-poor women!Hope they both beat that piece of s*** and ran him out of the house and their lives!Need I add that I thoroughly enjoyed this Ivy? :D Will vote now for the cute photo:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That sounds like an excellent idea for a sequel. :)

      Atreyee, thanks for the awesome comment and the vote!

      Delete
  13. It would be weeks before I wound up underneath Brian. - I just love this sentence, Ivy!
    One more example of how nobody wins at cheating. lolled at party of one also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymm, I love knowing which specific sentences spoke to a reader. I'm kinda partial to "party of one" too. :) Thank you so much for the great feedback, my friend!

      Delete
  14. Brilliant story about a cad and the need for revenge. I love the language between the two, and the build-up in rationalization is excellent. I'll be reading this story again and again. There's much for me to learn in this brief passage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll confess I've already read this comment twice because it's so unbelievably fantastic. :) Feedback like this is what keeps me writing and sharing my work. Thank you so very much for making my day!

      Delete
  15. Ivy I enjoyed this story thoroughly. It's one of the best things I've read all year. A fucking beagle says it all. And the ending Whore: party of one. I just adore the wonderful writerly phrases you come up with. What a great face-paced funny-tragic-embarrassing romp through Brian's sheets! (Oh and I tried to go vote for you carnival cruise (Ha! that picture is perfect!) but my computer freezes up and I can't get out of the first screen . . ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best things you've read all year?! That is really saying something since we're into November. Holy wow! What an ego boost. I can't thank you enough for such kind words. But, I'll try: Thank you, thank you, thank you, my friend! Nope, not nearly enough. :)

      And thanks for trying to vote. I appreciate the effort. :)

      Delete
  16. oooh, that sucks. What an ending!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The ending's amazing but this line made me love this piece:

    Revenge sex won’t realign the planets,” I cautioned.

    well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lance!

      That line was actually the first thing that came to me, and I built the story around it, so I'm thrilled that you took notice of it. :)

      Delete
  18. Amazing and very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it, Joanne. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  19. Jerk! I loved this one. Thanks for linking up. Don't forget to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, those types..... Enjoyable read, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wonder what would happen if revenge sex DID realign the planets? "Oops, there goes Mars again, it's gone past Neptune this time...." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Oh yes, there would be lots of planet realignment going on. :)

      Delete
  22. Oh Ivy. What to say, where to start?
    Maybe just with , I loved it, because as always you write it so honestly. I imagine this is exactly how this happens.

    I have been with many men who lied, who made me the bad guy, who just couldn't be honest no matter how hard he tried.

    that last line is perfect, but because I've been called that word on many occasions throughout my life, I find it offensive and wrong. Men can screw and it's viewed as a way of nature, women screw and they are called sluts. I cannot and will never abide by that.

    (I didn't mean to step up onto a soapbox here Ivy. I love every single thing you write...always. )

    love you girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete

You're so sexy when you comment on my blog.