Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Show Me Some Love!

Psst! If you enjoy my blog, please click the flashing link above to vote for me as a top mommy blogger. No strings attached. Just one little click = a vote. Thank you mucho!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Playing Dirty

They met at the mud run. Even coated in sludge, Josh was gorgeous. He offered to scrub her down. To his surprise, Lauren accepted his crude advances. She told him she “never does this.” He swore the same. They showered together, slept together, and Lauren woke up alone. No goodbye, no note. Eighteen hours earlier, she had been covered head to toe in mud, but--at that moment--Lauren felt dirtier than ever.

Finding Josh was easy. Race results were posted on the mud run website within a week. In a matter of hours, Lauren had located his Facebook profile, Twitter account and a mention of him in an article about the magic camp he’d attended 17 years ago.

Josh was annoyed the mud run chick showed up at his job. The flowers she’d sent were weird enough. That night was fun, and the girl was smokin' hot. But psycho trumps hot any day. He grudgingly agreed to lunch. Probably just needs closure. She suggested her favorite Mexican restaurant and offered to drive. Let Crazytown burn her gas.

Josh excused himself from the table for a phone call. When he returned, Lori … no, Lauren … was sipping a margarita. He was glad she’d ordered him one, too. Something told him he'd need it.

When Josh awoke, he was bound to Lauren’s bed. He thrashed about, but Lauren had learned to tie impenetrable knots during her brief stint as a Girl Scout. (Apparently, an extended stay in the juvenile psychiatric unit is not a valid excuse for missing meetings.)

Lauren lay beside Josh, vacantly watching him. Her face was covered in mud. Josh guessed his was too; his cheeks and forehead felt rigid. Lauren caressed his bare chest. Her hand was sticky. As she reached up to smooth his hair, Josh saw the gash across her wrist. Between them, the sheet was soaked in blood.

Hers? Mine? “Please, Lori …” Josh implored.

Lauren,” she chuckled. She closed her eyes and snuggled against him.

#
trifecta weekly writing challenge: The entry must be 33-333 words and include the word "crude," as defined below:

CRUDE
marked by the primitive, gross, or elemental or by uncultivated simplicity or vulgarity <a crude stereotype>


Word count: 333

22 comments:

  1. Be careful whom you meet! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Lots going on in this little pearl of a story! Great cycle of abuse and revenge. I like the hint of ambiguity at the end. His blood or hers or both? Hmmm! I guess he will soon find out, as will we. Thanks for creating a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      I figure he's doomed either way. If he doesn't bleed to death, he's trapped under a dying woman. Not very good odds.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much! I didn't know where I was going with this when I started. I just knew it definitely wouldn't be "happily ever after" for these two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Lauren is one crazy chick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is. But she's cute. At least she has that going for her. ;)

      Delete
  5. Now this was good! And I can't say I feel too sorry for Josh either. Next time (if there is a next time!) I hope he has learned his lesson;)

    This was a well crafted wonderfully creepy horror story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie! Yeah, it's hard to feel sorry for someone whose own douchery led to his downfall. :)

      Delete
  6. Okay stalker girl is creepy as f*ck haha great work (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You could say she has issues. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. You caught me by surprise with that ending! And, man, you do know how to ratchet up the tension--great pacing in this. Deliciously dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Deliciously dark" - I love it! Thanks for the wonderful praise. The ending kind of surprised me, too. Sometimes I have no idea where my characters are taking me.

      Delete
  8. This was creepy.. but Josh was a little bit too trusting to sip a Margarita in her company...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Bjorn! He should've never gotten in her car, either. But I think egotistical people like Josh are so self-absorbed they sometimes miss HUGE red flags.

      Delete
  9. Wow, so much was packed into this story! You did a great job of surprising us. I was really rooting for Lauren, at first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was hoping readers would sympathize with Lauren before she reveals herself as a kidnapping--and possibly homicidal--nutjob. :)

      Delete
  10. This was great...Didn't expect the route that went at all--I was even thinking during that second paragraph that I could relate to her cyber-stalking, as I may occasionally dabble in that myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I think many of us could admit to a little cyberstalking here and there. But, I draw the line at kidnapping.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Just popping back to say congratulations on a well-deserved win!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is TOO close to reality for me...! The girl scout bit was very funny, and Josh is SO well-written, a real wise wise guy there! She may appear larger than life, but I can assure you she is not.. psychologically it is interesting. I;d say good for her going to his office to cause trouble, as for tying up...oh dear. I think she sliced his manhood. Must be a strange, traumatic feeling.

    ReplyDelete

You're so sexy when you comment on my blog.